Sunday, October 17, 2010

MIDTERM REFLECTION - #CCM120

1. After studying 21st century media for eight weeks in this class, what have you learned?

I have learned that all forms of media incorporate, and can be analyzed by, certain recurring trends, principles, and techniques.

2. What is the most important thing you have learned about yourself as a critical reader, a writer, and a thinker in this class so far?

I have learned that a simple commercial is doing more than providing information. Every little detail in all forms of media is intentional, serves an important purpose, and can be identified when thinking critically.

3. What's one thing you would do differently this first half of the semester is you were to take this class again?

I would have studied the power tools intensely from the beginning instead of letting them grow on me and memorizing what's left for the midterm. I know now that they are most useful when they can be recalled easily.

4. What's one thing you would like me to do differently this first half of the semester if you were to take this class again?

I honestly can't think of anything. I am learning a lot and I enjoy the in-class discussions. Maybe it would be a good idea to give us a fill in the blank test on the power tools from the beginning. That would make analyzing media every class easier.

5. Please comment on the usefulness of the power tools, our course blog, your personal blog, our in-class quizzes, our films, and our book as learning tools.

Power tools: These tools took a while to fully memorize, but now that I know them well I see how useful they are for analyzing media.

Course blog: The course blog is easier to follow than angel. It pops up in my RSS feed that I read daily and it's easy to stay on top of the work.

Personal blog: I see our personal blog as a creative way to submit assignments and to become familiar with blogging if not already. However, my followers are only from this class and I can't see myself becoming passionate about marketing this blog to outsiders.

In-class quizzes: These make us review material before each class which is important to learning, but might not happen if there weren't quizzes everyday.

Films: I like the variety of films that we watch. They are about very different things, but help us realize that regardless of content, media uses the same power tools.

Books: I like the reading, pictures, and media examples in the text. The chapter blogging assignments help us to retain information we see as being important.

1 comment:

  1. Fine midterm blogging, Ricky.

    I am gratified to read that our course seems to be working for you so far.

    Onward and audeamus!

    Dr. W

    ReplyDelete